Mom’s Visit to Seoul Leaves 小苹果 (Little Apple) Song Stuck in Our Heads
So… apparently this Little Apple song (小苹果) by the Chopstick Brothers (筷子兄弟) is really popular right now in China. Somehow Alex and I watched the music video (it was a bizarre video) a month or so ago (we were told it made fun of K-pop stars). So when my mom came to visit last week and kept playing this song (she is learning the dance to the song- I guess it’s THE THING to do), Alex and I got the song stuck in our heads. I have to admit, it IS really catchy. (If you don’t believe me, google the song.) My mom left two days ago, and our apartment is so quiet now, I had to find the song and play it on my computer. 🙂
It’s been a year since my mom last saw Noodles (even though she always insists we put him on the phone when she calls), so she came for a visit (alright she also came to see Alex and me). Unfortunately it’s really cold in Seoul, so we didn’t do much sightseeing. Some highlights:
- Watching mom dance to Little Apple for 30 minutes each day.
- Eating her delicious meat pies 肉饼 doused in vinegar.
- Eating lamb skewers (mom suffered through it because she doesn’t eat meat)- the new restaurant near Konkuk University that we found has an auto-skewer-rotator. It was awesome!
- Getting a Dr. Fish foot massage in Insadong (seems like THE thing I take tourists to…). We also went to Jogyesa 조계사 Temple.
- Playing with the fun chairs at Dongdaemun Design Plaza DDP (the other thing I take tourists to). Mom and Alex (his first time too) had a lot of fun on the chairs.
We miss mom already. Noodles is wondering, “Where’s that lady who keeps dangling string in front of me?” Can’t wait to see her again!